Saturday, February 26, 2011

Why Blog About Hybrid Photography?

I chose to start blogging and posting videos and still images as I work on the HDSLR format (digital single lens reflex that shoots HD content). I'm currently on assignment in Sarasota, Fla., covering the Baltimore Orioles spring training 2011. Packed with the equipment are a Nikon D3S (720p HD) and a Sony HDR-SR7 camcorder (hard drive based consumer HD camcorder) as well as a Nikon D3. Along with these posts, I'll try adding reviews about gear I've had, as long as it pertains with the type of work that I'm doing, which is shooting still images for a newspaper and website, and also shooting and editing short clips for my newspaper's website.

My first sports action short has been edited and posted today. Here it is, in the Baltimore Sun. It was shot with the Nikon D3S hybrid camera at 720p (and downrezzed to 480p). The lenses were the Nikon 400mm 2.8 AFS vers. I non-VR lens (some with a 1.7x converter) and also the Nikon 28-300mm VR f/ 3.5-5.6 lenses. Vibration reduction was used. The camera was either used on monopod (400mm) or handheld (28-300mm). When the short is moved at the end of the month, I'll upload the clip to keep here.

But why write about work? There's a boatload of gear and accessories available right now as manufacturers and individuals try to develop the golden bullet in needed gear for a journalism field that's growing and evolving faster than the equipment that gets released. And let's face it: most of the gear is way overpriced, duplicated, or simply not that great. You can purchase a system that you feel is terrific, yet is far too expensive and tech-driven, than someone else's rig that's a fraction of the cost. I'm simply trying to weed through all of this myself. Hopefully, we can all help each other by sharing our experiences with shoots and equipment to find a central place where we can access information to make more informed choices that will help us in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment